Jeffrey Dahmer used alcohol to fuel his sadistic impulses and garnish him the nickname "The Milwaukee Cannibal". He raped, murdered and ate 17 victims, and confessed to all of it after his arrest. But once he got sober and had time to reflect on his inhumane behavior, he had some surprisingly insightful interviews.
In most of Jeffrey Dahmer's interrogations he goes into surprisingly honest detail about not only the crimes he commited - but the psychological reasons for doing them. He even had some advice for other people struggling with addiction and mental illness, using his past as a cautionary tale.
Take these quotes and sayings by Jeffrey Dahmer as you will, after all - can you really trust someone with such a crazy track record? Here are our favorite (and arguably) the best quotes taken from his interviews and interrogations. Enjoy?
The Best Jeffrey Dahmer Quotes
1. “I could completely control a person—a person that I found physically attractive, and keep them with me as long as possible, even if it meant just keeping a part of them.”
2. "Yes, I always had that sense it was wrong. I don’t think anybody can kill somebody and think that it’s right."
3. “Looking back on my life, I know I have made others suffer as much as I have suffered.”
4. “The first killing was not planned. I had had fantasies about picking up a hitchhiker and taking him back to the house and having complete control and dominance over him.”
5. “The person to blame is sitting right across from you. It’s the only person. Not parents, not society, not pornography. I mean, those are just excuses.”
6. "It's hard for me to believe that a human being could have done what I've done, but I know I did it."
7. “It's a process, it doesn't happen overnight, when you depersonalize another person and view them as just an object for pleasure and not a living breathing human being. It seems to make it easier to do things you shouldn't do.”
8. “That was the least satisfactory part. I didn't enjoy doing that. That's why I tried to create living zombies with uric acid in the drill to the head, but it never worked."
9. "If a person doesn’t think there is a God to be accountable to, then what's the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges?”
10. "I had these obsessive desires and thoughts wanting to control them, to - I don't know how to put it - possess them permanently.”
11. “I had a box in my bedroom closet and it contained the mummified head and genitals of a young man I met in one of the bars down in Milwaukee”